[TN-Bird] First yr. Coopers UP CLOSE

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 10:20:17 EST

Hello Birders,
Just moments ago, I looked out on my deck here in the Charlotte Park section
of West Nashville near the Cleece's Boat Landing, and saw an immature Cooper's
hawk perched on the rail only twenty feet away with its back toward me, then
it turned around to watch a squirrel feeding on the deck below.  As the bird
was lower than my eye level, I could actually see the orangy top of its head
which sort of blew my mind.  All my other immature Cooper's have been up above
me, and I don't remember having ever noticed the orange before.  It stayed in
that spot for about two minutes just letting me watch it.

The bird flew across the corner of the deck and landed where it stayed for
about thirty seconds, then flew up to a tree above, then to a tree back in a
neighbor's yard where it stayed about five minutes before flying further east.
kept hoping it would "take" one of my many squirrels, but I guess they are
just too much for it.  They sure didn't seem to have any fear of the hawk, The
squirrel on the deck just kept right on feeding only 5 feet away from it!

Dee Thompson
Nashville, Davidson Count, TN