[TN-Bird] First White-throated Sparrow

  • From: "tcbirdwatch" <tcbirdwatch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-Bird Post" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 09:17:16 -0500

This morning our first fall White-throated Sparrow, an immature male,
appeared on the brush pile and began eating the seed on the ground.  He has
continued all morning and we hope he stays to welcome many more.  We have
been seeing a good variety of warblers - Pine, Magnolia, Common
Yellowthroat, 3 Black-throated Green at the same time, Yellow-rumped,
Tennessee and for the past two days a gorgeous Ovenbird.  Rose-breasted
Grosbeaks - at least 3 - have been here all week.  A Ruby-crowned Kinglet
flitted through the yard yesterday morning and a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
has been here for several days.  Northern Flickers have been flying and
fighting for almost two weeks.  We still have 2 Ruby-throated Hummingbirds
fighting over the one feeder we continue to fill.  Natural food is at a
minimum since our wild cherry tree did not bloom this year and usually has
lots of food for the migrating birds; poke berries and seed from the weeds
are in limited supply also.  We are trying to put out enough seed but with
the horrendous price increases, we may have to limit it in some way.

Tommy & Virginia Curtis

Smithville, TN

DeKalb County