[TN-Bird] Re: Finches

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jmellon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <magicboy15@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 12:45:13 -0500

I am having a similar experience with my thistle feeder.  For a long time no
one was coming to it.  Then I decided that perhaps the niger seed had gone
stale (it was from a bag bought last winter), so I threw it out and replaced it
with fresh, newly purchased niger.  Still no takers until a cold snap when the
feeder was half-emptied by goldfinches.  I refilled it a couple weeks ago and
it is still full.  The goldfinches have started coming but they seem to prefer
black oil sunflower seeds or the feeder containing a mixture of seeds, fruit
and nuts.  They are not totally ignoring the niger but are much more likely to
visit the other feeders.
Carole Gobert, Knox County

Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 20:22:54 -0500
From: jmellon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: magicboy15@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
CC: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TN-Bird] Re: Finches

I have the same problem this year.

John Mellon

Chuckey, TN Greene County

G R LAUGHLIN wrote:

  For some reason or other I do not
have Goldfinches coming to a thistle feeder. Nothing in my yard has
changed. The feeder is clean, the seed is good. No cats, no hawks since
last summer. What could be a reason?

Nita Laughlin

Springfield, TN

2/9/2012