[TN-Bird] Re: Ferruginous Hawk

  • From: Bill Pulliam <littlezz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tn-birds bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 10:48:31 -0600

Speaking of eBird, in general eBird data for that part of the state in autumn are pretty skimpy. So anyone who heads there looking for this bird could do a good birding deed by noting a complete list of all species with estimated numbers of individuals. The Lake-Obion- Dyer greater Reelfoot area does not have much info entered from the end of the BBS season until the CBC season.

Bill Pulliam
Hohenwald TN

On Nov 10, 2012, at 10:01 AM, Scott Somershoe wrote:

For those that do not know about Bogota WMA, I recently updated the site page on the Tennessee's Watchable Wildlife web site. See the link below for directions, info on habitats, and birds seen there. It is a hotspot in eBird, although from looking at the info for Bogota in eBird, I'm the only one who has entered data.

Bogota is good for a plethora of sparrows, Loggerhead Shrikes, Northern Harriers and Short-eared Owls in winter. I would think that a LeConte's Sparrow or two are out there in the grassy fields as well.

Shortened link to the Bogota WMA site page:
http://tinyurl.com/anf7bgr

FYI - I've been slowly but surely working to flesh out, update, and improve the site pages on the Watchable Wildlife web site. This is a work in progress, but there's a few reasons I'm doing this. More on that later. In addition, most of the locations on the Watchable Wildlife web site are hot spots in eBird. I've been working to get new hot spots added, locations more accurate, and merging my birding data from personal locations to the appropriate hot spots. No excuse not to eBird!

Cheers,
Scott Somershoe

On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 9:17 AM, Nancy Moore <jaybird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Bogota WMA in Dyer Co, Tn
Bogota, Tn

Jeff Wilson just called and said he re-found a bird he had seen late last Friday but not good enough to ID but thought it was a possible Ferruginous. Found the bird again late yesterday and was able to ID but unable get a good photo. Re-found hawk this morning and was able to get good photo’s. Feels the bird will stay around for a while. Sightings were all on the Bogota WMA which is located off of Hwy 78 N just after crossing the Obion River going North. You can go to the store in Bogota on Hwy 78 and turn left and then left again at signage for refuge.

Nancy Moore
Reelfoot Lake, Tn