[TN-Bird] Feeder jays

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 14:10:10 EST

My nine blue jays are in a snit today because I forgot to include them in my
report of feeder birds yesterday.  They are making sure I know they are here
today by eating me out of house and sunflower seed.

This morning, I had a strikingly marked starling.  It was a beautifully
iridescent bird except for its back from midway all the way to and including
all its tail feathers being totally white.  There was white along the very
edges of the wing feathers as well making it a truly handsome bird.

I THINK I had a wintering chipping sparrow this morning, but it got away
before I could get a total bead on it.  I know that a few have stayed around
the area in past winters, and all the markings I saw indicated "chippie."

It seems like all I'm good for during this snow is putting out more and more
bird feed and thawing water.  My deck is like an overcrowded aviary and
"squirreliary."

From tracks in the snow, I know my opossum came to feed last night.  It likes
oranges especially well, but also eats apple, peanut butter and jelly.
Several years ago, I got some terrific photos of one eating an orange on my
deck.  I actually sent copies along with my Christmas card where I referred
to the opossum as my "outdoor pet."  My poodles are my indoor pets.

Happy snow day, and good backyard birding!

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN