[TN-Bird] Feeder Watch Day

  • From: "THCumbie" <thcumbie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 21:24:27 -0500

How does any warm bloodied animal survive at 5 degrees?  With everything
outside being canceled today due to the frigid weather, I took the time to
enjoy the birds in my viewing area.  Just enjoyed watching bird behavior.  I
did take a brief walk across the field.  In this smooth white stretch, the land
showed wintered grass pushing up through the soft snow as well as the paths of
dog, several cats or like-sized animals, and birds.  No squirrels nor rabbits
put in an appearance. The very near call of a Pileated or Flicker could be
heard from the woods.

The snow fell all morning and showed different depths... the deepest, that was
not in drifts, seemed about 5 inches.  Dry fluffy and cold snow.  Sometime in
the afternoon the sky started clearing...a bright sun pierced the clear deep
blue sky.  However, as I went to check my feeders just before dark, the sky was
again filling with heavy dark puffy clouds.

It is interesting to watch the different traits of behavior in birds.  Traits
which are so similar with any one species.  But the different species do behave
so differently.. the quick dart of the Chick-a-dees and Titmice to the feeder
and then to a nearby limb to open the seeds. The scratching search of the Song
Sparrow deep into the snow and into the brown soil beneath. The large clusters
of Juncos and Mourning Doves eating steadily for a relaxed period of time. The
Carolina Wren pecking and searching in the feeder perhaps for a certain kind or
shape of seed. And what about the searching and echo of sound of the
White-breasted Nuthatch often upside down?

Mourning Doves spook so easily and do what seems to be a vocal warning sound as
they flutter off to the safety of distance. The tiny Chick-a-dees do that sassy
fussing, even when they see me very near, refusing to move any farther than  a
short distance to a different space in the small bush they are perched in.
Respect for differences in the bird species are the usual.  Would we also be
wise to respect the differences in our human species?

Saying this, there has been a bit of indignation today and perhaps more than a
bit of frustration with the protection Mockingbirds show feeding areas.  They
just keep hanging in there and don't give up. I wonder what some of the
reactions are to these very determined birds.  Does the Mocker get punished by
us or by other birds?  For this bird seems so SELFISH????  Self-centered and
fearless.  Yet I do admire this bird trememdously.  I never have the
Mockingbird in my viewing area.. only once this year has one been in my yard.
It put in its appearance a few weeks ago very briefly one day with the arrival
of four Blue Jays.  The Blue Jay is seldom seen in my viewing area, also.
****************************************************************************************************************************************************
At one time during this day I went to the window to find our just why the
American Crows were flying around in the cold?  I was more startled than the
Juncos, Cardinals, Mourning Doves, and Goldfinch (only one of these seen all
day) all feeding calmly in the white snow on the scattered seeds.  There
perching on a mid-high limb within a few yards of my feeders landed a very
large hawk. Much larger than the American Crows that seemed to be fussing and
also perching on a limb just above the hawk.

The hawk's back was turned to me.  It showed wings almost as long as the tail.
The wide back was dark with some very obvious white feathers.  The short tail
showed white bands on the black tail.  The hawk was turning its head surveying
the small birds feeding  within a few yards of where he was perched.. I could
see the profile of the rather large head and sharp curved bill. I held my
breath for a moment when a Junco flew to perch on a limb very near the hawk.
He and the Junco were there several minutes together before the Junco flew
away.  But just as the hawk turned around showing a streaked rusty breast,
he/she took flight and flew away.

The hawk might have seen my movement through the window.. or he/she could have
fed earlier and not hungry.  But his/her light colored undersides showed as it
flew away across the fields, the highway and on across Big Rock Creek to the
steep wooded ridge in front of my home..

I am still mystified at the calm continued feeding of these ground birds with
the hawk surveying them so near.  I pulled out all my bird books to identify
that hawk... Red-tails live in the area.  However, am very unsure, but at this
time I have decided it was a Red-shouldered. I did not think to look for the
red shoulder which would have confirmed it. O well, perhaps I will remember &
do better next time!  And it was a great experience!!

Tess Cumbie
Buladean
Bakersville NC