[TN-Bird] Feeder Treats

  • From: "Roy and Melissa Turrentine" <roymel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bird line" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 08:31:46 -0600

This morning we were delighted to have a female Eastern Towhee visit our
feeder. In our wooded area, this is a rarity...and we have only seen the male
towhee prior to this, we think! So, this was a treat. We are planning for some
sort of brushpile nearby to encourage the towhees (they have holly bush, etc
for cover now), too.
We also had our first pine siskin (just one) feeding n our thistle...we have
seen them elsewhere in winter around here and have seen them even in breeding
plummage in other areas in breeding plummage.
Around 4 chippy sparrows fooled me- they were 1st year pale winters (?)...they
were so small and seem to have pinkish bill in the low light but their head was
not that of field sp markings...so, according to my Sibley, this is it
(although I failed to get the pale cheek patch but everything else was to
the"tee")
All of these have joined our usuals...
Pileated Woodpecker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
American Goldfinch
White-breasted Nuthatch
Tufted Titmice
Ca Chickadees
No Cardinals
White-throated Sparrows
Juncos
Blue Jays
Mo DovesI am probably missing some, but this will suffice for the time I have!
Melissa Turrentine
Bedford Co
Normandy TN
(John Sellars TOS- Lebanon)