[TN-Bird] FW: communications towers and birds: proposed rule

  • From: "Dev Joslin" <devjoslin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 14:59:13 -0600

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is seeking input concerning
whether it should establish regulations concerning the construction of
communications towers, specifically with respect to migratory birds.

Among criteria being considered are the type of lighting used, guy wires vs.
stand-alone towers, the height and locations of towers.

Below is a quote from the introduction of the "Request for Comments" from
the Federal Register.  Access the web site listed in the following article
to read more details and find out how to submit comments.
http://www.cyberregs.com/~msalk/indx/fr/i/o/d/iod7510a.htm

Dev Joslin
Monteverde, Costa Rica

"We seek comment on the extent of any effect of communications towers on
migratory
birds and whether any such effect warrants regulations specifically designed
to protect migratory birds.  First, we request comment on the legal
framework governing the Commission?s
obligations in this area, and in particular the threshold necessary to
demonstrate an environmental problem that would authorize or require that
the Commission take action. We then
examine particular steps the Commission might take if there is probative
evidence of a sufficient  environmental effect to warrant Commission action.
With regard to any newly constructed or modified communications tower that
must be registered and meet lighting specifications under part 17 of the
commission?s rules, we tentatively conclude that medium intensity white
strobe lights for nighttime conspicuity is to be considered the preferred
system
over red obstruction lighting systems to the maximum extent possible without
compromising aircraft navigation safety.  We seek comment on this tentative
conclusion and on issues related to its implementation. We also seek comment
on whether, based on the scientific or
technical evidence before us concerning the impact that communications
towers may have on migratory birds, we should adopt any additional
requirements based on other characteristics of
communications facilities, including the use of guy wires, tower height, the
location of the tower, and the possibility of collocation. Finally, we
request comment on whether to add an
additional criterion for requiring an environmental assessment (EA) to
section 1.1307(a) of the commission?s rules."

>From: Marti Salk <salkms@xxxxxxxx>
>To: wademc@xxxxxxx, lmann@xxxxxxxxxxxx, warren_webb@xxxxxxxxxxx,
>devjoslin@xxxxxxxxxxx, giffennr1@xxxxxxxx
>Subject: communications towers and birds: proposed rule
>Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 12:16:51 -0500
>
>FYI. You can read the entire announcement on the GPO web site at:
>
>http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/01jan20061800/edocket.access.gpo.gov/2006/pdf/E6-19742.pdf
>

>Marti
>

>>Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 06:29:08 -0700
>>Federal Register Articles
>>Title <http://www.cyberregs.com/~msalk/indx/fr/i/o/d/iod7510a.htm>Effect
>>of Communications Towers on Migratory Birds
>>Citation Proposed Rule for
>><http://www.cyberregs.com/~msalk/indx/cfr/47cfr/cfr_47_1.htm>47 CFR Part
>>1, <http://www.cyberregs.com/~msalk/indx/cfr/47cfr/cfr_47_17.htm>47 CFR
>>Part 17
>>Reference 11/22/2006  71 FR 67510-67518  (Vol. 71, No. 225)
>>Issuer FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION
>>
>>Summary This document seeks comment on whether the Commission should adopt
>>measures to reduce migratory bird collisions with communications towers.
>>The document is intended to develop the record in the Commission's August
>>2003 Migratory Bird Notice of Inquiry. Depending on the comments it
>>receives in response to the document, the Commission may adopt substantive
>>or procedural changes to its rules.

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES