[TN-Bird] Re: FW: McCown's Longspur photos from Camp Jordan , Hamilton co.

  • From: Ed Schneider <ed.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mike Todd <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Kevin Calhoun <kac@xxxxxxxxxx>, tn bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 11:35:48 -0500

How did I miss the photo(s)???
Ed SchneiderNashville

Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 09:29:31 -0700
From: birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TN-Bird] Re: FW: McCown's Longspur photos from Camp Jordan , Hamilton
co.
To: kac@xxxxxxxxxx; tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Great find, great photos! No fair though, we usually have to look through
flocks of 1000's of Laps over here in west TN to find a good Longspur, and
ya'll get a photo of one posing by itself......yeah, I'm jealous!

Ironically, as Scott mentioned, the one other McCown's for TN, that Jeff found
was also a lone bird along the road near Pace Point. The first
Chestnut-collareds I found at Reelfoot were in a massive flock of Laps, and
were initially found thanks to the distinctive call note (McCown's also has a
very distinctive flight note worth knowing). However, the Chestnut-collared
Jeff had one day at Ensley a few months ago was also by itself. It's been a
good winter in the east for these birds, with I believe both Chestnut-collared
and McCown's being seen recently in GA as well.

Hope the bird hangs around for a little while, love to possibly make a trip
over tomorrow!

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.pbase.com/mctodd

Here are some photos I took of the male McCown's Longspur found by Dan Jacobson
at Camp Jordan, Hamilton County today.

Kevin Calhoon
Chattanooga, TN