[tn-bird] Ensley update 8/5/02

  • From: Mikectodd@xxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 00:56:15 EDT

A full day at the pits didn't produce the hoped-for Whimbrel. Hopefully I
just wasn't at the right place at the right time and the Whimbrel will make
another appearance. I also didn't run across the Buffies that Jeff had
yesterday. Today was a very busy day for work at the pits, with one of the
levee roads we've been using to get close to one of the main pits no longer
accessible, at least for the time being. The birds were really stirred up
this morning, with all the commotion going on.

On the brighter side, there were still plenty of birds to look through,
although numbers seemed down from Saturday. Lots of Least, Pecs, and Semi's
(as Jeff already pointed out the crisp juvie Semi's are stunning), but
Westerns were a little tougher to come across than on Saturday. It's
definitely a learning experience (and a blast) to just sit back and take your
time while looking at the variety shown by a number of the common species
that it is easy to take for granted after a while. I had a Baird's in the
morning, but couldn't relocate it later. The American Golden-Plover showed up
after lunch in the same spot it's been hanging out, and the Sanderling was
relocated in the afternoon. A Stilt Sandpiper also joined the usual cast of
characters. I had the same luck as Jeff with an Upland, I heard one call from
the dustbowl habitat they prefer, but never saw it. Solitary's and Spotties,
along with Semi Plovers are scattered about, with good numbers of Lesser
Yellowlegs before lunch, but very scarce later. No need to mention the status
of the Black-necked Stilts (my ears are still ringing).

Good birding,

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
Carroll Co.