[TN-Bird] Ensley to Tunica Co, MS 12/11/04 (long)

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 16:16:21 -0600

12/11/04
TVA Lake & Ensley area, along with Robco Lake; Shelby Co.
Tunica Co. MS.

Note: Part of this involves birding just below the TN/MS State lines, so be
warned. This is included as it is close enough to Memphis that it could be
of interest to several TN birders.

All,

Yesterday, Don Manning and I made a trip to Memphis to meet the Ol' Coot and
take a long overdue tour of Jeff's stomping grounds down in Tunica Co. After
going, I can't imagine now why it took me so long to get there, we had a
blast!

On the way down, we made a VERY quick pass around Oneal Lake in the Hatchie
NWR, to look for the Vermilion Flycatcher. Once again, it was early and
still very cold, with a stiff wind, so nothing was perching out in the open.
This included the Vermilion, which we didn't see. I still don't think us
missing it this morning at all indicates that it has left.

We got to Memphis and went straight to Ensley to do some looking around for
a little while until Jeff got freed up. Our 1st stop was TVA Lake, where
Jeff had both Surf and Black Scoters earlier in the week. With a quick scan
though bins when we 1st pulled up, I saw two Scoters sleeping among the big
raft of Scaup. Both of these turned out to be Surf Scoters, the Black didn't
make an appearance while we were there. Birds trade in and out of here
constantly, so it's no surprise. But, good looks and a photo-op with a
couple of Surf Scoters will make my day anytime! Also here among the Lesser
Scaup were good numbers of Greater, and a single Red-breasted Merganser and
Bufflehead.

A trip to the pits produced good numbers of Rusty Blackbirds working the
flats (well over a hundred), and a few Pipits, along with ever-present
Killdeer and Starlings. Least Sandpipers were shuffling around everywhere,
and we saw a total of 12 Sanderlings, split up into little groups of 1 to 4
birds. At one time, when a Red-tailed flushed everything, they all formed up
together, making for a nice sight. I only saw one Western, and missed the
Dunlin that had been around. But, with the roads looking like they did, I
was afraid to do much off the main road.

Jeff arrived shortly afterwards, and we piled in and headed towards Tunica.
A quick stop at Robco Lake revealed a large number of divers on the lake,
mostly very distant though. After a few minutes, we pulled a female-type
Black Scoter out of the mix, with Jeff and I both getting some photos.

This concludes the TN portion:

I was amazed at the amount of good habitat that is present just below the
State Line. Jeff showed us around to a few of his favorite spots, and
usually told us what we would see before we got there (seriously, Jeff knows
this area like the back of his hand, and exactly where certain birds tend to
hang out)!

Highlights included:

Massive flocks of Greater White-fronted and Snow Geese, with good numbers of
Ross's mixed in. We were seeing several thousand geese in a flock, but had
an off-day for Geese in the area, as we didn't see entire fields covered as
is the norm.

Red-tailed Hawks everywhere, including several dark-morph Westerns, a
dark-morph Harlan's, and my favorite, an exquisite adult Krider's. In one
tree we had 8 Red-tails perched (Jeff has had as high as 13!), and 19 along
about a mile stretch of road.

While stopping to look at some Brewer's Blackbirds, we came upon a field
with over 150 Wilson's Snipes.

Western Meadowlarks a couple of places, exactly where Jeff said they should
be, including one that sat just off the road with it's back to us allowing
great views of the tail pattern.

3 Black-necked Stilts working a wet field with ducks. Don and I certainly
weren't expecting Stilts this time of year!

Lapland Longspurs at less than 30 feet. We didn't get the big flocks they
sometimes get down there, but great looks at some as the dusted and got grid
out of the road just in front of us.

Just before it got dark we were trying to figure out the best area for
Short-eared's by tracking Harriers to roost. We had hoped to find Sandhills
flying to roost as well, and found 27 in a field. We watched them fly to
their roost area, as Harriers were piling into a location we were sure would
produce Short-eared Owls. Just at dusk, we had seen over 30 Harriers come
into an area, when the 1st Short-eared Owl came up, and was temporarily
mobbed by the incoming Harriers. Just goes to show that changing of the
shifts doesn't always go smoothly, no matter what your occupation! :') we
wound up with at least 5 Short-eared's, including one that came by very
close and "barked" for us a couple of times. I've heard the bark many a time
on CD's and tapes, but my 1st time to hear the Owls actually do it. Amazing
day!

(But, though Tunica Co. is full of great habitat and birds, it could easily
be a frustrating area if you just run down and expect to see a lot of stuff
without having a good idea of where to go. It's a shame more birders don't
get down there, as there is no telling what could be turned up with more
coverage)

I have a new gallery, with photos of both Scoters, and the Sanderling, as
well as a head comparison of Greater and Lesser Scaup. Jeff has some photos
as well that I'm sure he'll post when time allows: The link is:
http://www.pbase.com/mctodd/memphis_121104

Good birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN