[TN-Bird] Ensley Update plus Crittenden Co, AR Scissor-tailed FC

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ARBIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 20:10:54 -0400 (EDT)

Aug. 12, 2011
Ensley Bottoms, Shelby Co. TN
Crittenden Co, (just barely) AR

I've been running across the bridge lately into  AR helping the Samples of
Island 40 fame and had a female Scissor-tailed  Flycatcher feeding 2 young
the last 3 days off Highway 131 just across the  bridge.

At the "Pits" today, there were three Wilson's Phalaropes, all  in fresh
juvenile plumage. After Seimbeck and I missed the Black-bellied  Whistling
trio on Sunday-Monday and Tuesday, they resurfaced on Wednesday  resting under
their favorite bush of Lamb's Quarter. Since Black-bellied  Whistlers are
essentially night feeders the young might now be big enough  to feed with the
adults after dark and the family is just bedding down in the  day. The other
family group seems to have stabilized at 12 young. Black-necked  Stilts are
everywhere!!!!

I've added new photos from today at:

_http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/image/137176427_
(http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/image/137176427)

Good  Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington  Rd.
Bartlett, TN. 38135_http://WWW.pbase.com/ol_coot/_
(http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/)
What is this  feathered thing that lifts my heart to the  heavens.