[TN-Bird] Eastern bluebirds

  • From: "Carole Gobert" <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 10:01:10 -0400

I've been putting out meal worms for the last few days since the weather
turned cold, mainly for the Eastern bluebird pair feeding 6 nestlings in a
nestbox in my back yard. The bluebirds, however, have shown no interest in
the meal worms, preferring the fruit/nut mixture in a tube feeder a few feet
away.  If this is the same bluebird pair that nested in the box last year,
they certainly were interested in the meal worms then.  Both the male and
female have been regular visitors to the tube feeder since I started using
the fruit/nut mixture that I get at Agri Feed.

The meal worms do not go to waste.  Three mockingbirds and a male cardinal
have been devouring them and yesterday I watched a male red bellied
woodpecker gorging himself while a mockingbird watched.

Carole Gobert
west Knox County, Tennessee