[TN-Bird] Eastern Screech Owl - Odd Roost

  • From: Ed Schneider <ed.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 17:30:57 -0600

Blair School of Music at Vanderbilt - Nashville, Davidson Co.
While walking our 10 month old daughter in to Kindermusik class today, I
immediately spotted the familiar form of a screech owl in the tiny
(approximately 35'x75' with 3 story high) open-air courtyard at Blair. I had
trouble believing it was real at first, as it obviously didn't move. I returned
with my camera and 105mm macro lens a few hours later, and made the attached
image, around 4PM this afternoon.
As I was leaving, I told an employee about the bird. He said "Oh yeah, it's
great isn't it? It's been there for over a year!" I can only assume it leaves
the courtyard at night to feed, and is smart enough to return to the very wind
and even rain protected roost during the day.
You just never know where you might see a cool bird....
Ed SchneiderDavidson Co.