[TN-Bird] East Tennessee Birding

  • From: "Mann, Jon" <JMann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 17:02:27 -0500

Rob Lane and I decided to travel from Nashville to try our luck on East
Tennessee birding Sunday/Monday.  Unfortunately, the weather seems to have
kept the bird numbers way down.  Even though we didn't have the success we
had hoped for, we did add five lifers (two at Roan Mountain, three at
Kingston), and are now more familiar with some of the areas we read about in
TN-Bird postings.

Areas visited:
Sunday
Roan Mountain -- great looks at Pine Warblers and Red-breasted Nuthatches,
two birds that we had previously only heard on the Cloudland Trail to Roan
High Bluff, and on the AT to Roan High Knob.  Had hoped to see Red
Crossbills, but no luck.
Musick Campground - no shorebirds, just a few mallards and vultures.  Some
terns across the lake, but too far to positively ID.
South Holston Dam - nothing!
Monday
We had hoped to visit Mendota FT, but the rain stopped that idea.
North Shore Boone Lake - quiet, not much around.
Douglas Lake/Rankin WMA - again, the steady rain seems to have kept the
birds away.  30-40 Vultures, a few DC Cormorants,  a Yellow-throated
Warbler, many Great Egrets and Great Blue Herons.
Kingston Steam Plant - finally, the rain stopped!  2 immature Black-crowned
Night Herons in the recreation area, 6 Wood Ducks in the water.
The soccer field was productive, yielding:
1 Wilson's Snipe (new TN Bird) in the field - took to the air, circled high
for a few minutes, then landed.  Later heard calling from the area between
the parking lot and the high berm.
~20 Killdeer - Conveniently interspirsed with the other shorebirds, made a
handy size reference.
9 Least Sandpipers (new TN Bird) - in the field and along the gravel road.
5 Sanderlings (new Life Bird) - flew in later in the afternoon.
1 Pectoral Sandpiper (new Life Bird)
1 Solitary Sandpiper (new TN Bird)
2 Western Sandpipers (new Life Bird).

We were not sure what areas beyond the soccer fields were open - there were
trucks and cranes working, so we did not venture beyond there - what is open
for birding?

Jon Mann
Nashville, TN