[TN-Bird] Eagle Bend scaups

  • From: "Carole Gobert" <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 12:07:17 -0500

Late yesterday afternoon I made a quick tour of the Eagle Bend Fish Hatchery
in Clinton (Anderson County), Tennessee.  No, I wasn't looking for the
pelican, though you never know.

There weren't many birds in the ponds.  The big pond on the left as you
drive in held 3 bufflehead and two scaups.  I studied the shape of their
heads through my scope and believe that there was one of each, a lesser and
a greater scaup.  Actually their heads were so clearly different that I'd be
sure of it if I didn't know how hard it is to id them.

The upper pond held only a small flock of buffleheads.

No gulls.  Lots of Canada geese along the banks everywhere.  Starlings at
the martin gourds.  a flock of Killdeer, a crow.  And some odd looking
geese.  A brief trip (it was almost closing time) but worth it for the
scaups.

Carole Gobert
Knox County, Tennessee