[TN-Bird] Eagle Bend hatchery, Anderson Co., TN

  • From: "Ron and Dollyann" <aves7000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-Bird" <TN-Bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 23:01:33 -0400

TN-birders,

Dollyann and I went out to Eagle Bend fish hatchery in Anderson Co. this
afternoon for a fun hour of birding. We just got back from a jaunt out to New
Mexico and had seen where we missed the excitement out at Rankin Bottoms in
Cocke Co. recently. Following are our highlights:

Pied-billed Grebe - 1
Great Egret - 2
Bald Eagle - 1  Finally! Mike Smith, the hatchery manager, had told us that he
had been seeing Bald Eagles there all summer but we had never     been there to
see one. It was a new species for us at the hatchery, bringing our total
species found here to 153.
Spotted Sandpiper - 1
Lesser Yellowlegs - 2
Semipalmated Sandpiper - 2
Least Sandpiper - 8
Buff-breasted Sandpiper - 2
Black Tern - 1 A nicely plumaged juvenile. My first record here since 1997.

Great birding,

Dollyann Myers and Ron Hoff
Clinton, TN