[TN-Bird] Eagle Bend hatchery, Anderson Co.

  • From: "Ron Hoff" <aves7000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-bird" <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 23:09:07 -0400

TN-birders,

Dollyann and I made a run out to Eagle Bend fish hatchery in Anderson County
this morning, betting the cold front brought some changes to the avifauna out
there. We were right. It did. We had a large group of Tree Swallows moving
through the area, whereas we haven't seen many of them over the past few weeks.
Some new ducks have showed up and there are still several Palm Warblers around
and a lone Swainson's Thrush as well. Here are the numbers:

Gadwall - 2 (first of the fall season - fos)
Northern Shoveler - 10; fos
Double-crested Cormorant - 15 (most we have ever had here)
Bald Eagle - 1  (none for all these years and now this is the 3rd sighting in
the past 6 weeks)
Cooper's Hawk - 1
American Coot - 33
Least Sandpiper - 1
Tree Swallow - 196 (probably more; a conservative estimate)
Swainson's Thrush - 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler - 3
Palm Warbler - 10

Great birding!