[TN-Bird] Eagle Bend and Cove Lake/Vesper Sparrow and Spotted Sandpiper

  • From: Jimi Moore <jimimoore@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 20:30:39 -0400

A brief check of Eagle Bend Fish Hatchery in Clinton, TN   (Anderson
County)

     Today near noon I saw my first Spring SPOTTED SANDPIPER, BLUE
-WINGED TEAL and a very close up look at a VESPER SPARROW at Eagle Bend.
It was cloudy, and rather windy with the temperatures dropping.  Tree
Swallows were most numerous (50+)  with a few Barn Swallow, Northern
Rough -winged and Cliff Swallows mixed in feeding over the lower ponds.
Other ducks were 4 -LESSER SCAUP and 2 -RUDDY DUCKS.

     Later in the afternoon Cove Lake had 9 BONAPARTE'S GULLS (with 5 of
these in full breeding plumage)  Very nice.  4 Blue-winged Teal were
present and 1 Ruddy Duck. Several Wood Ducks were seen flying in. The
only other waterfowl were Canada Geese, Mallards a Pied Bill Grebe and a
few Coot.
Sparrows were White-Throated, Chipping, Field ,  Song and a couple Swamp
Sparrows.  Though pools of water were everywhere, I did not see any
shorebirds there today.
     The short loop back trail area was alive with Blue-gray
Gnatcatchers- 13
were seen with one flock having 8, and included 2 BLACK AND WHITE
WARBLERS that I had very close looks at. Yellow-rumped  Warblers are
sporting flashy breeding plumage and making you look twice to make sure
that is what they are.  43 species were seen in about 45 minutes.

Nell Moore
Caryville, TN