[tn-bird] E Tennessee Weekend

  • From: BEAMERWITT@xxxxxxx
  • To: TN-BIRD@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 21:22:08 EDT

I drove East after work yesterday evening stopping at Kingston Steam Plant.
There were 2 Caspian Terns (a bit late), 2 hybrid? Canada X Greylag Geese,
and one adult SNOW GOOSE which did not appear to be injured.  There are a few
other summer records, and with the explosion of this population, more are
sure to follow.   The only shorebirds seen were Killdeer.

In GSMNP this AM, the expected Swainson's Warbler at the Schoolhouse Gap
Trail failed to show and there was no sign of Ruffed Grouse either.  At Alum
Cave, 2 Peregrine Falcons (a pair?) were seen playing in the sky above the
nest site.  No sign of OS Flycatcher or Raven.  Siskins were present at the
Dome parking area, but no crossbills were found.  Most of the persons within
driving range in the eastern US were in the park today, and the traffic
through Pigeon Forge was worse than usual.

Now, if someone will give me instructions on reaching "Mud Lake" perhaps I
can connect with the Fulvous Whistling Ducks tomorrow!

Cheers

Terry Witt
507 Highland Terrace
Murfreesboro Tn 37130