[TN-Bird] Duck River-TNNWR

  • From: Steve Routledge <eyerout@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 08:48:00 -0800 (PST)

Feb.9

On our way home from a marvelous(!) TOS winter weekend at Pickwick Dam, Cyndi
and I stopped at the TNNWR- Duck River unit. The geese were abundant with
several thousand Canadas, a few Cackling,a thousand or so Greater
White-fronted, about one hundred Snow Geese and 4-5 Ross' Geese. Several
thousand Mallards were present with lesser, but still formidable numbers of
Pintails, Am. Wigeons, Am. Coots, N. Shovelers, Gadwall, Canvasbacks, and
Ring-necked Ducks. Half a dozen Bald eagles and a nice undulating stream of 85
White Pelicans were visible. Wilson's Snipe and Horned Larks were feeding in
the corn stubble and last, but not least (what else ?) a White-winged Scoter 20
feet from the boat ramp into the TN. River at the end of Refuge Road. Great way
to end the weekend!

Good to see everyone at the winter meeting!!

Steve Routledge
Montgomery Co.