[TN-Bird] Duck River to Pace Point birds

  • From: Scott Somershoe <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 03:25:05 +0000

I spent the day wandering around KY Lake.  I went to Duck River Unit and Big
Sandy Unit of TN NWR.

Highlights:
Tennessee NWR - Duck River Unit (Humphreys Co)
-Flock of 374 Cackling geese with 14 more in another small group for a total of
388 cacklers.  There were some regular old giant Canada's in the area, plus a
few snow and ross's geese.  The Cacklers had some white-fronteds mixed in.
-Lots of Savannah Sparrows (100+) in the first grassy field with cockleburs as
you enter the refuge with one LeConte's Sparrow that popped up very easily.
Overall lots of sparrows in all brushy and grassy areas.
-Golden Eagle - first winter bird.  Considering it wasn't that far away, I only
got crummy back lit photos, but I got a couple ok picts. I watched it circle
for a few minutes as it got higher and higher and then it made a hard attack at
hundreds of ducks and geese by the Pintail Point Blind.  It didn't get anything
and took off south.  As it flew away a harrier attacked it repeatedly.
-80 white pelicans

Bennett's Creek Overlook, Big Sandy Unit, TN NWR (Henry Co)
thousands of mallards and a smattering of other ducks.
(I walked the area where we flushed the probable Sprague's Pipet a few weeks
back, hoping for a return, but nada as expected)

Pace Point and waters just east:
>640 Common Goldeneye
1 White Pelican
-nothing else worth noting.  No gulls on the islands.

Rocky Point, last hour of day light:
1 Red-throated Loon
1 Pacific Loon
85+ Common Loons
900+ Ruddy Ducks
150+ Common Goldeneye
30+ Red-breasted Mergs
Big roost of gulls (bonaparte's and ring-billed) way off.  No telling what all
was in there.

Great birding!
Scott Somershoe