[TN-Bird] Duck River area; 3/30/2013

  • From: Michael Todd <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 16:38:29 -0700 (PDT)

3/30/2013
New Johnsonville/Duck River area; Humphreys Co

As Chad Smith posted earlier, to my knowledge the Cinnamon Teal wasn't seen
today. I was there shortly after Terry evidently, and didn't see it then or
around noon when I checked on my way back from Duck River Unit. Ran into
Stanley
York, who was there at sunup and didn't see it then either. There were no
Blue-winged Teal present; I didn't ask Ruben if it was with Blue-wings, but
kinda assumed it would be. Several Shovelers, Gadwall, and Lesser Scaup on all
3
ponds.

Duck River, which I visited very briefly, was nice. Good shorebird habitat,
with
a few Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, Snipe and a nice flock of 150+ Pectoral
Sandpipers working the area. I had hoped for maybe a Baird's traveling with the
Pec's (a few come thru in this early window), but no luck. Lots of Teal of both
expected species, and a few other various ducks still. As Clayton posted, lots
of Pelicans in the area. A Peregrine was perched right along the road
(unfortunalely well down the road from me when I saw it, would have been some
great shots). Other highlights were a few Vesper Sparrows, and a good number of
Rusty Blackbirds; always neat to hear Rusties doing what they consider a
song......

Will post a few photos later. Thanks again to Ruben for getting word out in
time
of his Cinnamon Teal so that at least Clayton was able to get over and get a
look at this very rare TN dabbler. Speaking of Ruben, over the last couple of
months that's Eurasian Wigeon and Cinnamon Teal they've found;  maybe a
Gargeney
will be next!!

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd