[TN-Bird] Re: Drakes Creek (Sumner Co.) CONFIRMED - Great black-backed Gull

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "oeserscave@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 14:59:41 -0500

Saturday, January 17, 2015
Sumner county
Drakes Creek
8 - 10 am

This morning being my first weekend in town this year, I took my bike, scope, camera, and binoculars and went for a bike ride around the Drakes Creek area.

Pulled off at the first paved lots on the left after crossing the small water area, about 1/2 mile before Mallard Point park and boat ramp. First saw several Herring Gulls among the hordes of Ring-Billed and Bonaparte's Gulls, thinking they weren't quite big enough. After about 15 minutes a large, dark gull with a whiter head than body gull flew west in front of me. It eventually climbed onto a log with Herring, Ring-Billed and Bonaparte's Gulls very close by, helping confirm my first sighting of a Greater Black-Backed Gull in TN.

I don't have time to download, crop, and attach photos today, but will get to it, along with a 'mystery' gull on another submerged log. This gull is light-medium brown/gray, without dark wingtips or tail, and it is in between size of Herring Gulls on the log with it, and nearby Ring-Billed Gulls. I have decent photos, although it sat preening and napping for over 30 minutes, so I don't have flight photos.

Other birds in the lake here were Gadwall, many Hooded Mergansers, Common Goldeneye, 1 American Wigeon, Mallards, and Canada Geese. Nothing of note at the boat ramp at Mallard Point, but about a dozen Black-Crowned Night Herons and 30 Hooded Mergansers in the cove across the road, which with the bicycle I was able to access easily.

At Memorial Park I drove to the north side of Drakes Creek on my bike and walked it down to check the Canada Geese, finding nothing unusual in the area of the gulls, however just past the soccer field there was a lone Greater White-Fronted Goose with 4 Canada Geese. It was quite wary of me and other walkers and bikers on the paved trail, so I believe it is wild. None of these geese were in the area on my return of checking the main flock on Drakes Creek by the boat sheds.

Ken Oeser
Hendersonville, TN

              Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan
                       Clemson, SC