[TN-Bird] Re: Douglas Lake, Dutch Bottoms, Oct 13, 2014 - Franklin's Gulls still present

  • From: Scott Somershoe <ssomershoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 20:46:52 -0500

Just a little follow up on my stop at Dutch Bottoms, Cocke Co. on 10 Oct
14.  I guess I was brain dead from a week of meetings and a lot of driving
(definitely!) as I had myself all confused on the gulls (doesn't take
much!). After reviewing my photos finally, I have a series of photos with 3
Franklin's Gulls together. I previously reported one and it flew and hadn't
been relocated.  I don't know how many Laughing Gulls I had since I was all
confused on what was what, but I am pretty sure the group of 9
"black-headed" gulls I saw before I left were all Laughing as I didn't have
any Franklin's-like suspects in view and many were juveniles.  I'll adjust
my Laughing Gull count down a bit on my eBird checklist to 7 to be
conservative, while I'm bumping my Franklin's Gull total to 3!

I have posted a series of photos at the link below of the Laughing and
Franklin's Gulls (and some other birds).  Some interesting shots include a
lone Franklin's in flight (very clear ID points visible) and some flight
shots and standing shots of Franklin's and Laughing Gulls together (none of
which I knew I'd actually taken at the time, again, exhausted!).  Quite the
nice "black-headed" gull clinic to confuse you, but an excellent learning
experience.  I've made some notes under the photos on what is what and
why.  If I've goofed again (and that's distinctly possible), please let me
know.

http://www.pbase.com/shoeman/fall_2014

Good birding,
Scott Somershoe