[TN-Bird] Discovery Wetland - Rutherford County

  • From: Daniel Estabrooks <hyla514@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird Post <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 16:41:47 -0700 (PDT)

Just came back from about 3 hours at Discovery Wetland in Murfreesboro...
-----
Wood Duck - 22Mallard - 31Green Heron - 2Yellow-crowned Night-Heron - 3American
Kestrel - 1Eurasian Collared-Dove - 1Mourning Dove - 5Chimney Swift - 10 (a
conservative estimate)Downy Woodpecker - 1Northern Flicker - 1Eastern Phoebe -
1 (likely two more, but I only caught a very brief glimpse)Eastern Kingbird -
2Blue Jay - 4American Crow - 2Carolina Chickadee - 1Carolina Wren - 1American
Robin - 2Gray Catbird - 1 (likely one more, but again, my view was too brief
and shaded)Northern Mockingbird - 5European Starling - 50Northern Cardinal -
5Red-winged Blackbird - 6Common Grackle - 20 (probably more like 40, but they
were very active so it was hard to tell)American Goldfinch - 2House Sparrow - 3
-----
Also heard something coming from the marsh on three occasions that sounded like
a very loud whistle on one pitch. No idea what that was.
The highlight of the day for me was non-avian. A family of six river otters
came in and busted up a flock of Mallards and Wood Ducks, which was a) comical,
and b) my first wild otter sighting ever.
Daniel Estabrooks