[TN-Bird] Re: Dickcissels and Grasshopper Sparrow - Robertson Co.

  • From: Tony Lance <tonylance@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 08:03:35 -0500

I stopped by this morning to look again at the Dickcissels and
Grasshopper Sparrows on Blackwood Rd. in Springfield. I may have
undercounted the Dickcissels last time--I tallied 4 or 5 males today;
and I was certainly low on the Grasshopper Sparrows--I heard and saw
three singing males, including two dueling on the fence tops across
the road from one another, often using their slightly more musical
alternate song. I saw one female Dickcissel carrying nesting
material.  Unfortunately, her work will likely come to naught: she's
trying to nest on a working farm and the owner plans to mow the hay
field in the next week or so, once it's dry enough.

A single Savannah Sparrow continues to linger in the same area.

Tony Lance
Springfield, TN

On May 12, 2009, at 9:30 AM, Tony Lance wrote:

> I found 3-4 pairs of Dickcissels and a pair of Grasshopper Sparrows
> this morning in Springfield in the hay fields on either side of
> Blackwood Rd. near J. Travis Price Park. They were perched atop the
> fences lining the road and, in the case of the Dickcissels, singing
> from the peaks of the small Sugar Maples.
> To reach Blackwood Rd. in Springfield, go to the intersection of Hwy
> 49 & Hwy 431/41 (also the intersection of 5th Ave. & Memorial Blvd.)
> and continue north on Hwy 431/41. Go past Sulphur Fork Creek, and
> just after passing the fairgrounds (on your right) you'll see a
> noticeable blue sign for J. Travis Price Park. That's Blackwood Rd.
> The Grasshopper Sparrows were on the fences just before reaching the
> top of the hill. The Dickcissels were seen from the top of the hill
> almost all the way to the entrance of the park less than a mile away.
> Both species were singing until I left at about 8:30 AM. Parking
> along the road is advisable only for a short time if you stay with
> your automobile; more extended viewing would best be done by parking
> at J. Travis Price Park and walking back.
>
> One Savannah Sparrow was also present while I was there.
>
> Tony Lance
> Springfield, TN

                       MAP RESOURCES