[TN-Bird] Dauphin Island Birding

  • From: queen mab <queenmab001@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 09:08:56 -0700 (PDT)

I just returned from my trip to Dauphin Island from From March 18th-20th.

Indian Shell Mound and across the street viewing the Bottle bushes (early
morning and evening, someone seeded the trail next to the benches and many
birds showed up)
Painted Bunting
Orchard Oriole
Baltimore Oriole
Prothonotary Warbler
Indigo Bunting
Blue Grosbeak
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Northern Parula
Scarlet Tanager

Audubon Bird Sanctuary (early morning and evening)
Tri-colored Heron
Little Blue Heron
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Little Egret
Cattle Egret
Painted Bunting
Hooded Warbler
Boat-tailed Grackle
Brown-headed Nuthatch
Nesting Osprey
Alligator (I know not a bird)

The long pier next to the school (best to go early morning before swimmers show
up)
Reddish Egret
Tri-colored Heron
Female Red-breasted Merganser-1
Blue-winged Teal-3
Great Egret
Little Egret
Oyster Catcher
many shore birds I have yet to ID (best to go in the morning)

Coming off the Dauphin Island bridge to the mainland. To the right, note the
standing wooden poles in water--the second group, not the first group). There
were Brown Pelicans and about 5 different gulls resting on the poles that I
have yet to ID.

Marnie Mitchell
Rutherford County