[TN-Bird] Cumberland County Western Grebes

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 14:08:25 -0500

Tony King and I went in search of the Western Grebes at Lake Tansi in
Cumberland County this morning and found them both still there and easily
viewable from the marina at around 10 a.m.   They were so close that we could
see the color of their eyes (red) through the scope. Such elegant birds with
their graceful long necks and long thin bills.  What a treat!  They were diving
but also spending a lot of time up so we had good long looks.  When we could
tear our eyes away from the pair we also found plenty of their smaller cousins,
Horned Grebes (20+), a few Pied-Billed Grebes, a few Buffleheads and along the
far shore at least 100 Coots.

From there we followed Ed LeGrand's directions to nearby Lake Hiawatha and were
just amazed by the number of waterfowl within easy viewing distance and
seemingly oblivious to our presence.  There were 500+ Ring-necked Ducks, which
I believe are the specialty of this location, but also at least 4 Canvasbacks,
a like number of American Wigeons, about 20 Gadwalls, a scattering of Pied
Billed Grebes and Buffleheads and two Mallards.

All in all a very successful road trip.  Thanks so much to Joseph Mast and DJ
Stanley who found the Western Grebes and to Ed LeGrand for posting directions
so that we could get to them and to Lake Hiawatha.

Carole Gobert, Knoxville, Knox Conty, Tennessee

                       MAP RESOURCES