[TN-Bird] Cross Mountain - Golden-winged W.

  • From: Chuck Lola Estes <chucklola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 22:14:28 -0400

Saturday, 4/26/2014
Cross Mountain, Campbell County
8:30 to 11:30 am

Lola and I birded the Cross Mountain area above Caryville Saturday morning.  We
primarily focused on the old coal mining bench (road) on the left side of
Mountain Road that is ~4 miles up Mountain Road from the Shoney’s in Caryville.
 There is a new metal gate at the entrance to this bench.  Though the gate is
not locked it was down so we parked on the shoulder in the tight right-hand
curve where the coal mining bench road starts.  Parking outside the gate is
limited to maybe 4 vehicles with possibly a spot or two at the side road just
below.  Within 100 yards we had a Golden-winged Warbler in the exact tree it
has sung from the previous two years - has to be the same bird.  There were not
a large number of birds but the ones we had sung well.  The leaves are just
coming out at this elevation which made spotting birds easier.

Chuck Estes
Oak Ridge, TN

Golden-winged Warbler - 2 (both singing)
Chestnut-sided Warbler - 1
Black-throated Green Warbler - 5
Cerulean Warbler - 10
Black-and-white Warbler - 2