[TN-Bird] Cove Lake, Waterside Marina, Eagle Bend hatchery

  • From: "Ron Hoff" <aves7000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2015 19:54:31 -0500

TN-birders,

Wanting to get out on a nice sunny day, Dollyann and I checked out 3 places to
see if the weather yesterday brought in anything interesting. Here are our
results:

Cove Lake, Campbell Co. – Not a lot around, but 9 waterfowl species was a nice
bit of diversity. 4 American Black Ducks were a new county record for us.

Waterside marina, just into western Union Co. – The large raft of Redheads that
has been there recently is now gone. We did manage to find almost 800
Ring-billed Gulls and 19 Herring gulls out on the lake. Some distant American
Wigeons provided us another new county record.

Eagle Bend fish hatchery, Anderson Co. – Getting a bit more interesting here as
well. The upper pond has been the only thing holding many ducks recently and
today was no different. Besides a lone Lesser Scaup in one of the lower ponds,
the upper pond had 39 Redheads and 82 Ring-necked Ducks. We also had an Osprey
at the river. This is the second Osprey we have had in the past 2 days. In the
last, lower pond on the right (this used to be the “L” shaped pond), we found
24 Wilson’s Snipe. This was our highest count ever for this location. Note to
photographers: If you drive on the dike next to the pond (on the side closest
to the river) and go VERY slowly, the birds will likely stay put and you can
get some great photos. Morning light will be best.

Great birding,

Ron Hoff & Dollyann Myers
Clinton, TN