[TN-Bird] Cove Lake State Park (Cambell County) Redhead, Blue-winged Teal

  • From: David Rankin <davidtrankin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 18:45:57 -0700 (PDT)

I went to enter my observations to Ebird and tripped the filter for rare or
unusual birds a personal record of 7 times, so I figured that deserved a post
here.

Most interesting was the stunning adult male breeding plumage REDHEAD that was
hiding on the back of the lake, along with 2 adult male breeding plumage
BLUE-WINGED TEAL. Also present was at least 1 female Hooded Merganser and a
BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON, along with the expected Mallards, Canada Geese and
several families of Wood Ducks.

No Swainson's Warblers were seen or heard, nor any Prothonatary Warblers,
though I'm assured they are there. The traffic noise from I-75 made hearing
anything difficult. Also of note (according to Ebird) were the several Cliff
Swallows I saw, undoubtedly from the colony nesting under the I-75 overpass.

Here's the complete checklist:

Location:     Cove Lake SP
Observation date:     6/8/10
Notes:     Walking the Beaver Lodge trail.
Number of species:     45

Canada Goose     100
Wood Duck     32
Mallard     9
Blue-winged Teal     2     2 adult males in breeding plumage in close company
with each other.
Redhead     1     1 adult male in breeding plumage. Red head, blueish bill,
dark breast and grayish back.
Hooded Merganser     1     possible 2 or 3 birds, but only 1 seen at a time.
Great Blue Heron     7
Black-crowned Night-Heron     1     Perched on dead snag at waters edge.
Turkey Vulture     1
Red-shouldered Hawk     1
Killdeer     13
Spotted Sandpiper     1
Ruby-throated Hummingbird     2
Belted Kingfisher     2
Red-headed Woodpecker     1
Downy Woodpecker     1
Northern Flicker     2
Pileated Woodpecker     1
Eastern Phoebe     1
Yellow-throated Vireo     1
Red-eyed Vireo     4
Blue Jay     1
American Crow     2
Northern Rough-winged Swallow     5
Purple Martin     3
Tree Swallow     9
Barn Swallow     1
Cliff Swallow     14     Small colony of 10-20 nests nearby under I-75 overpass.
Carolina Chickadee     5
Carolina Wren     14
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher     1
Wood Thrush     22