[TN-Bird] Couple of New Yard Birds

  • From: Howard Groce <billyh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tn-Bird <Tn-Bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 19:40:40 -0500

TN-Birders,
Aren't life's little surprises interesting, especially as they relate to birds?
 I was walking our to our barn Friday when I heard the loudest honking and
flapping I'd heard in  quite a while.  I looked up just in time to see three
Canada Geese going over at treetop height, probably giving each other landing
instructions for Dale Hollow Lake only .2 miles away.  First new yard bird in
quite a while.

Then this morning while walking out to the van to go to church, there was a
territorial clatter near where I hang my feeders between a Red Bellied and a
Hairy Woodpecker, both males.  The Red Bellied is a frequent visitor but this
was the first Hairy we've had in our yard.

Just when I had given up hope of finding any new ones, two come in two days.

Howard Groce
Byrdstown, (By the Lake) Tennessee