[TN-Bird] Coopers, rusties, etc.

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 13:30:51 EST

Hello from about four blocks east of the old Cleece's Ferry Landing on the
Cumberland River, now just a boat ramp, in the Charlotte Park Area of West
Nashville, TN.

After returning from early church and a meeting of my prayer group, I was
working at my kitchen sink when the immature Cooper's hawk, which I have
affectionately nicknamed "Immy" Coop, lit on a large electrical cable just ten
feet
above the end of my deck.  It surveyed my deck while I got the binoculars by
which time it had turned around facing west.  I noticed that "Immy" is
beginning
to show signs of maturity in that it appears to have a dark spot that looks
sort of bluish on its head and some bluish just at the edge of the bend in the
wing.  Can it be that my little "Immy baby" is growing up?

It flew after spotting my movement, but may still be "hanging in the 'hood"
as the blue jays are having a hissy a couple of houses away.  I must say that
my mouse population on the deck seems to be decreasing what with the three
Cooper's hawks, two great horned owls and at least one screech along with two
red
tails, a red shouldered and, now, a kestrel have found THEIR smorgasbord
feeding on MY smorgasbord for my "little" birds.  It has been a while since
I've
had a peregrine or a less-common-to-my-yard sharp shinned, although I WAS
getting peregrines fairly frequently a couple of years ago including one "Immy
Peregrine" that once hung around nearby.  I'm glad something is getting those
mice,
but I do hate to lose an occasional bird or two.  Oh well, "survival of the
fittest" has been preached to me by naturalists ever since I started birding as
a teenager back in 1947 or so.  My healthy yard birds really make tracks, er
uh "flight patterns" when one of their "enemies" shows up in the area.  The
squirrels and mice take cover, too.

On the way home from church, I saw a flock of about 100 rusty blackbirds in a
low lying, very wet yard on Westboro Drive between O'Brien and Thunderbird in
Charlotte Park.  I was able to stop long enough to get a good look and hear
their distinctive chatter, then, like the Phoenix, they all rose at once and
off they went toward the East, but were circling back as I drove away.  Loads
of
starlings, robins & grackles everywhere along with a few cowbirds which
showed up yesterday.

Cheers & Prayers,

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN