[TN-Bird] Coffee/Franklin Co. Sandhill, Willet, Lark Sparrow, etc.

  • From: Jeannie Swant <jswant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 2015 08:57:19 -0500

Sunday morning we set out to see more birds than our time on
Saturday in Old Stone Fort had provided.
Our random wandering to Monteagle Mountain included a stop at our
favorite farm pond/flooded field location on US41 Hwy, south of Hillsboro.
There we were surprised to see a Coot and a
Sandhill Crane among some expected ducks and waders. Next stop, the flooded
field between Pelham
and I-24, where we found 21 resting Willets on the south bank with three
sleeping
Mallards.

Onward now up the hill to Sewanee, stopping just inside the stone entrance to
check out
the birds along the Perimeter Trail section called Shakerag Hollow, famous for
its wildflower diversity. The warbler
diversity however, we found to be a little short (11 species). But the woods
and stream allowed some really
great views of birds and their behavior.
Along with the beauty of the place, this made for a really satisfying
hike.

After a food stop in Monteagle, we retraced past our two
pond locations to find the Willets still there, now bathing and
stretching. We assumed they would soon
be resuming their amazing trip north.
The Sandhill Crane, Coot, and Shovelers had already left the next pond
and been replaced by a lot of Semipalmated Sandpipers. Along the road further
north toward
Hillsboro, we found a pair of Lark Sparrows (thanks Chloe Walker). Down a side
road were “broken-wing Plovers” protecting
their two adorable Killdeer chicks running helter-skelter in the road and
another Lark Sparrow. Another fabulous spring day of birding in Tennessee!

5/3/15 species list:

American Coot

Northern Shoveler

Blue-winged Teal