[TN-Bird] Code of Birding Ethics

  • From: "Michael Roedel" <Michael.Roedel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 13:00:31 -0500

American Birding Association Code of Birding Ethics for birders:
http://americanbirding.org/abaethics.htm

Dear Tennessee Birders,
Each year, around the first of May, I read about flocks of birders
rushing somewhere for the chance to observe a rare or interesting bird.
This year, the rediscovery of the Ivory-billed woodpecker - less than
100 miles from Tennessee's western border - has certainly captured the
spotlight.  There are countless birders around the world who would
seemingly give their right eye for a glimpse of this magnificent
creature.

I would dearly love to see the bird myself, but must temper my
enthusiasm with the knowledge that we could easily push the species out
of existence forever with our increased presence in its wild habitat.  I
can easily envision dozens of kayaks hitting the water in the Big Woods
- tapes of the woodpecker calls continually playing - harassing the few
remaining birds to the point of exhaustion and death just for the sake
of being able to say "I saw the Ivory-billed woodpecker."

With a continually expanding population of more than six billion humans
on this planet, wildlife is struggling more every day to hang on in
smaller and smaller patches of habitat.  Because we humans control what
happens to our surroundings, we have the responsibility of making sure
that we don't negatively affect other species through our actions.  We
also have the responsibility of making sure that we don't have negative
effects on the individuals of other species.

Birders have a special responsibility.  Because of our desire to see
birds in their natural habitat, we often follow birds to where they
live.  The majority of us just wait for the birds to come to us by
watching bird feeders set up outside our windows.  Many of us walk
through the woods on a regular basis listening for song and watching for
flashes of color, hoping for a close look at an elusive bird.  Often, we
will drive to a known sighting location, pile out of the car, and pull
out the binoculars in hopes that the bird shows itself.  "Pishing" or
playing tapes to entice the bird out into the open are common tactics if
the bird isn't immediately obvious.  Sometimes, that process is repeated
over and over, with the bird being harassed by what it believes to be a
competitor encroaching on its territory.

I would encourage all birders to visit the American Birding
Association's website to review the "Principles of Birding Ethics"
posted there.  The basic message is that "Everyone who enjoys birds and
birding must always respect wildlife, its environment, and the rights of
others. In any conflict of interest between birds and birders, the
welfare of the birds and their environment comes first."

American Birding Association Code of Birding Ethics for birders:
http://americanbirding.org/abaethics.htm

I would ask that all birders remember that breeding season means that
birds are pushed to their limits trying to raise a family in less than
pristine habitats; that they are faced with the pressures of avoiding
house cats and pesticides; that they are putting up with vehicle noise
and exhaust, and acid rain, and exotic plant species replacing the
forests they knew; and that you are affecting their behavior and
possibly their survival just by being there.

The Henslow's sparrow has been getting a lot of attention since being
discovered as a breeding species in Tennessee only about 10 years ago.
This bird has been declared "in need of management" by the TWRA and thus
is protected under TCA 70-8-104.  There are three places in the state
where this species is known to breed.  Each of those sites has been
visited repeatedly by many birders over the past decade.  The Bark Camp
Barrens site is the most recently discovered breeding area and the most
accessible.  This site is a TWRA Wildlife Management Area and a
protected refuge for the Henslow's Sparrow.  We would ask that birders
be especially considerate when visiting this site so that these birds
are not disturbed.  Please do not enter the habitat or use tape play
back to attempt to coax the birds out of hiding.  Doing so may destroy
nests or stress birds to the point of nest failure.  The best way to
view Henslow's sparrow is to wait patiently at the edge of the habitat.
Henslow's sparrows are at times silent for half an hour, before
reappearing and resuming their calling.

We all are interested in the protection of birds and their habitats.
Following the American Birding Association Code of Birding Ethics for
birders and using our own common sense can help make sure that the birds
will be there for coming generations to appreciate.  Please... go out
and enjoy the birds... but do so with this code of ethics in mind.

Michael Roedel, State Ornithologist
Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency
P.O. Box 40747 Nashville, TN 37204

michael.roedel@xxxxxxxxxxx