[tn-bird] Re: Cockeyed virus logic (was about Mark Bennett

  • From: Rikki Hall <rikki@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 12:22:08 -0500 (EST)

--> Today, Jim & Marlis Greenway said:

> "Drunk drivers do not have anything to do with the character or intelligence
> of the person who they kill.  They are strictly a consequence of the design
> of the modern road system.  A drunk was designed before people routinely
> drove autos on the road, and the road lacks the infrastructure necessary for
> preventing drunk driving. If anyone deserves blame for the existence of
> drunk driving fatalities, it is the short-sighted designer of the road."
>
> Here's another one: "Rapes do not have anything to do with the character or
> intelligence of
> the person whose sexuality was violated.  They are strictly a consequence of
> the design of the human female genitalia.  It was designed before females
> routinely wore chastity belts, and it lacks the infrastructure necessary to
> prevent forcible sexual penetration.  If anything deserves blame for the
> existence of rapes, it is sexist evolution."

Cute.  Perhaps you can explain where MacOS and Linux, both of which are
immune to email viruses, fit into your analogies.  You also have your
victim-perpetrator-enabler roles confused.  No one was accusing the
infected computer owner of being a "malicious, juvenile self-absorbed
technogeek", nor a rapist or drunk driver.

And, of course, your opening statements are correct, being victimized by a
drunk driver or a rapist in no way reflects on the character or
intelligence of the victim.  The perpetrator is ultimately
responsible.  Nonetheless, manufacturers do get blamed when poor design
leads to harm.  In the case of email viruses, superior design solutions
are available and have been available for decades, but there is not much
incentive to adopt these solutions when you have a monopoly.

> Keep your cockeyed, blame-the-victim logic off a birding list. Viruses have
> everything in the world to do with malicious, juvenile self-absorbed
> technogeeks without even the consideration felt by a boy throwing stones
> through windows. Viruses barely dink Gates' armor but costs innocent,
> anonymous computer users tens of thousands of dollars every year.

There should be no talk of viruses on this list to begin with, but as long
as I have to suffer the warnings and such, I won't feel bad about
reminding everyone how ridiculous it is that you even have to deal with
this problem.  Those tens of thousands (probably a gross underestimate) of
dollars should be recouped from Microsoft.

Rikki