[TN-Bird] Cleveland, TN: Prairie warbler, Wood Thrush, odd N. Bobwhite behavior

  • From: robert loveday <rhloveday@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 05:20:56 -0700 (PDT)

Last evening at Fletcher Park- Cleveland, TN we saw a beautiful
male Prairie warbler calling away, heard a Wood Thrush, saw many
B-G gnatcatchers, & a Red-shouldered hawk.

A pair of Indigo Buntings arrived at my workplace this week on
the Oak Ridge reservation just off Bear Creek Road.  Their
singing dominates even the Chippies every morning on my walk
from the parking lot.

This past weekend traveling on two lane Hwy 60 from Cleveland,
TN to Dalton, GA, there were a pair of N. Bobwhites seen feeding
on the road shoulder near the TN/GA border.  Speed limit on this
hwy is 55, & our car was less than 5 ft. away when we whizzed by
them. They were totally unfazed. Logging trucks frequently use
this route.  And to think we have ever so quietly stalked these
birds in remote places?

Robert & Leigh Loveday
Cleveland, TN