[TN-Bird] Clay-colored Sparrow near Crossville

  • From: "LeGrand Family" <elegrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 22:32:31 -0600

On Saturday morning (29 Nov), DJ Stanley, Joseph Mast, and I found a
Clay-colored Sparrow along Nicholson Drive near Lake Tansi in Cumberland
County. It flushed from a weedy field and perched and fed for several
minutes in a hedgerow and a honeysuckle thicket, giving us ideal views. The
bird was immediately recognizable as a likely Clay-colored Sparrow (compared
to an immature Chipping sparrow) based on the very distinct facial pattern
(brown face, prominent moustachial stripe and lateral throat stripe). We
also noted the prominent pale median crown-stripe and a well-defined gray
nape. As seen in the photos, this bird did not have the black lores typical
of a Chipping Sparrow (I think it's a stretch to call the lores on this bird
"pale"). Despite our trying to determine the rump color, the wings always
seemed to cover the rump, even though the bird actively foraged. One of DJ's
photos clearly showed the rump as the bird was flying to another perch, but
it is difficult to determine the color (brown vs. gray) from the photo,
though the photo shows little contrast between the rump and the back. After
several minutes of close observation, we did a birdJam iPod experiment. We
played Chipping Sparrow songs for the bird, but it did not seem to react.
Next we played Clay-colored Sparrow songs. Upon hearing the first
Clay-colored Sparrow song, it perked its head up. After the second song it
raised up even more, and after the third song it flew directly at us,
landing about 20 feet behind us in a hedgerow across the road. We played the
Clay-colored Sparrow songs twice more, and each time it looked around
alertly. About 30 seconds later it flew off to distant bushes.

Photos can be seen at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26115384@N06/?saved=1

-Ed LeGrand
Cumberland County