[TN-Bird] Chimney Swifts in Downtown Knoxville

  • From: Dan Ellsworth <ellsy10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-birds Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 07:30:26 -0500

Last night just after 5:00 PM as the skies darkened just before it began
 to rain again I saw at least 2500 Chimney Swifts in downtown
Knoxville.  That is a conservative count.  I have worked downtown for
ten years and this was the largest number I have noticed around this
time of day.   It is surprising to me because it seems a late in October
 for those numbers.  The normal numbers I see which is usually a small
fraction of yesterday's count have been declining substantially over the
 last couple weeks.  Perhaps this is one last push south with all the
crazy weather we have had?  I am guessing with the rain about to come in
 they may have been staging early for some of the usual Knoxville
roosting locations.  I had to pick up my son so unfortunately I could
not stay to confirm exactly where they went.

Dan Ellsworth
Knox County, Tennessee