[TN-Bird] Chattanooga RBA #5

  • From: "Kevin A. Calhoon" <kac@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To:
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 19:07:39 -0400

This is Kevin Calhoon with the Chattanooga RBA, sponsored by the Chattanooga
Chapter of the Tennessee Ornithological Society.

This is Update Number #5 made on April 6, 2005.

Standifer Gap Marsh continues to be a great area for spring migrants.  On
April 3 David Patterson had 3 late Sandhill Cranes, one American Golden
Plover and the first report of Eastern Kingbird for the season.

On April 4 Dan Jacobson and I did not find the American Golden Plover but
did observe the Eastern Kingbird, heard a Marsh Wren and saw a Green Heron,
as well as several Tree, Barn and Rough-winged Swallows.

Kyle Waggener reported Black and White and Black-throated Green Warblers on
the side of Lookout Mountain, a Broad-winged Hawk flying over the
Chattanooga Nature Center (been hearing for about a week) as well as
Northern Parula, which he first started hearing about a week ago.

Here is an interesting report I received from Vivian Schmid on April 5:

My sister Ruby Coker called me Saturday April 2 and said that she had a lone
humming bird at her feeder and that it looked like a Rufous but it had a lot
of metallic green on its head and back so we think it looked more like an
Allens.  It stayed around all day Saturday and a few hours on Sunday and
then it seems to be gone.  Ruby's house is on Richland Creek in Dayton
(Hamilton co.).  I drove up there to watch the bird on Saturday evening and
got the pleasure of seeing it several times before dark.

I will relate any new information I receive on this bird.

Here is a list of birds seen by Jim Eager at the Brainerd Levee on April 3:

gadwall

blue-winged teal (17)

green-winged teal (2)

northern shoveler (3)

pectoral sandpiper (4)

solitary sandpiper (1) (a lifer for me)

lesser yellowlegs (8)

least sandpiper (1)

american pipit (1)

sora (1) found by  Dan Jacobson

wilson's snipe (18)

tree swallow (2)

northern rough-winged swallow (3)

chimney swift (10)

swamp sparrow (1)

Harold Birch reported his first Broad-winged Hawks, 30 Common Loons, and 3
Sandhill Cranes migrating north from the Soddy Mountain Hawkwatch in
Hamilton county on April 5.  He also observed one Chimney Swift.

Dan Jacobson and Judy Newsome had the first report of Chimney Swift from the
Brainerd Levee on April 4.

The next general meeting of the Chattanooga TOS will be on April 14 (not the
7th as I earlier reported) at 7:00 PM at Accension Luthern Church, 720 South
Germantown Rd.

Get out in the Field and let me know what you see!