[TN-Bird] Chattanooga RBA #16

  • From: "Kevin A. Calhoon" <kac@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To:
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 14:37:19 -0400

This is Kevin Calhoon with the Chattanooga RBA, sponsored by the
Chattanooga Chapter of the Tennessee Ornithological Society.
This is Update Number #16 made on September 11, 2004.
You can call the RBA at 423 -821-4381.

Hurricane France's wet visit to our area on September 7 and 8 brought a
possible flyby MASKED BOOBY near the Sequoyah Nuclear Power Plant in
Hamilton county on the morning of September 8. (Page
25, C-5 DeLorme atlas) Roi Shannon did not have binoculars, but observed
some of the
field marks as the bird flew up stream (white seabird with pointed wings,
close to Osprey size, black on trailing edge of wings) were the field marks
he relayed to me. He watched the bird fly out of sight upriver. This
sighting was around 10:00 AM EDT.  No other sightings have been reported.
This would obviuosly be a first state record if accepted by the TBRC.

Also on September 8 John Henderson and Janice Chadwell reported 18 Common
and 2 Forsters Terns at Nicklajack Lake above Nickajack Dam in Marion co.
They also reported 30 Blue-winged Teal, 20 Pied-billed Grebes, 10 D-C
Cormorants, a Osprey and Bald Eagle.

I (Kevin Calhoon) visited the same area later in the evening and had 2
Caspain Terns, 20 Common and 4 Forster's Terns.  Also 6 Greater Yellowlegs,
2 Lesser Yellowlegs, 1 Sanderling, 3 Spotted Sandpipers, and 6 Semipalmated
Sandpipers.

Fall songbird Migration is increasing in our area with the first sighting of
Golden-winged Warbler (male) for the fall at the Cravens on September 10.
Also present were 2 Blackburnians, 4 Chestnut-sided, 1 Hooded, 1 Magnolia.
(Kevin Calhoon, Harold Birch)

On September 9, 9 species of warblers were observed as follows (Kevin
Calhoon, Jim Eager):
1 Blue-winged
1 Bay-breasted
10 American Redstart
10 Tennessee
3 Blackburnian
3 Black-throated Green
5 Magnolia
1 Yellow-breasted Chat
8 Chestnut-sided
Also present was a Swainsons and Wood Trush, Summer and Scarlet Tanager and
a Baltimore Oriole.

David Aborn banded a Northern Waterthrush along North Chickamuaga Creek on
September 8.

The next general meeting of the Chattanooga TOS will be on October 14
7:00 PM at Accension Luthern Church, 720 South Germantown Rd.
Get out in the Field and let me know what you see