[TN-Bird] Cerulean warblers at al- Edgar Evins SP

  • From: <ethden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 10:10:02 -0500

Millennium Trail
Edgar Evins State Park
DeKalb County, TN

I was at Edgar Evins State Park on Friday 17 June. The birding was stellar. I
encountered at least six cerulean warblers- got good looks at two males and
heard at least four or five others along the way.

When I got my binoculars on the first one, a male flitting at mid levels, it
was the white throat and wing bars that got my attention. Then I saw the
streaking on the flanks and darkish top on the head. At first, for a second,
I'm thinking "blackpoll" but my reasoning took over as I knew that's no longer
a possibility in mid June. Then, milliseconds later, it dawns on me-- I'm
looking at a cerulean. The undertail markings and finally its song clinched it.

Other species in numbers seen:

hooded warbler-- 2 seen and many heard
Kentucky warbler-- 4 seen, including female with nesting material
scarlet tanager- 2 pairs including a male with orange coloring
                       between his black wings munching on mulberry fruit
Louisiana waterthrush- 2 seen
red eyed vireo- abundant-- saw and heard many

Kevin Bowden
Nashville, TN