[TN-Bird] Cardinal braved the fading light

  • From: Wallace Coffey <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 1-A TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 22:52:43 -0400

TN-Birders:

A cardinal braved the fading hours of daylight to
eat beneath my feeder.  Cardinals and Carolina
Wrens are usually among the last birds moving
just before dark.

I went out in my driveway at 10 p.m., among the
towering oaks that surround my house here on
the western edge of a low ridge in the Eastern
Ridge and Valley of Northeast Tennessee.

Was listening for my resident Great Horned Owl
to be calling as others had posted.  I couldn't
hear well for all the neighborhood children out
playing in the snow and their loud voices.

We have 4-inches of snow here in Bristol, most
of which fell in two hours starting about 3 p.m.
when the snow storm swept into our area.  The
radar indicates most of it has moved out to the
east.  It is still snowing.

My four-foot long feeder,  which is more than
four-feet tall,  was well stocked just before the
snow arrived.  I scattered large amounts of seed
on the ground, knowing the large size of the feeder
would leave that ground area bare.  The cardinal
came there to feed late in the bare area just before
dark when at least 3 inches of snow was the ground
out from under the feeder.

Being on the west side of the ride means there is
seldom much sun or heat until well into the day and
I may not have many feeder birds until mid-day.
It will not warm up here in the morning.  It's 27 now.
But the crows do come and they will be there when
I check in the morning.

I'm anxious to see what daylight brings to my feeder.

Let's go birding when the roads are clear......

Wallace Coffey
Bristol, TN