[TN-Bird] Re: Can we expect. . .?

  • From: Michael Todd <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wgpu@xxxxxxxxxxx" <wgpu@xxxxxxxxxxx>, TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2014 09:20:02 -0800 (PST)

Bates,

Let me first say I am speaking with nothing more than personal opinion on this
subject......Since there has been a definite uptick in Common Redpolls across
the state the last few years, it definitely wouldn't hurt to keep a close eye
on feeders during the coming Arctic blast. But, I don't remember these birds
having been directly tied to a major cold front coming thru; though my memory
isn't what it used to be... It seems like a poor year to the north of us for
Redpolls in the southern end of their regular winter range. I wouldn't think
chances would be much better than normal for this species during this time, but
hopefully we will get lucky! I don't remember the distribution of the
historical records, though there weren't very many I don't think (don't have
any reference handy here at work) Always a treat when we get one!

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx