[TN-Bird] Brown-headed Nuthatch in Loudon County

  • From: David Trently <dtrently@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 08:18:38 -0400

east Tennessee
Loudon County
Lenoir City Park

On Sunday, after a KTOS (Knoxville Chapter of the Tennessee Ornithological
Society) field trip around Fort Loudoun and Tellico Dams, Janet McKnight and I
visited Lenoir City Park. At the far end of the park (near the new,
expensive-looking subdivision) we saw a bird fly in and land on some
honeysuckle. We looked at each other in amazement when we realized we were
looking at a BROWN-HEADED NUTHATCH! This was a first county record for both of
us, and we could not recall any reports from anyone else for this species.
The bird flew in from across the lake, landed in the honeysuckle for a short
stop, and then flew into the park, into a tall pine tree.
Perhaps this is a new site to find these birds, which have been showing up in
more and more places in east Tennessee since first discovered in May 1995 at
the Kingston Steam Plant in Roane County.

David Trently,
Knoxville, TN