[TN-Bird] Re: British field guide recommendation

  • From: Bill Pulliam <littlezz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Birds" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 15:55:33 -0500

I strongly second this recommendation. Best field guide ever. I always take it with me to Kentucky Lake as well for its info on gull molt sequences, etc. And of course its detailed range maps are fantastically helpful when you are actually using it in Europe and Britain! Extensive treatments of subspecies and vocalizations are very helpful too.

Bill Pulliam
Hohenwald TN

On Sep 25, 2011, at 2:24 PM, LeGrand family wrote:

Despite the request to respond off-list for a good field guide for British birds, I'd like to nominate for the Best Field Guide Ever Written category, "Birds of Europe (Second Edition)" by Lars Svensson, Killian Mullarney, and Dan Zetterstrom (Princeton University Press, 2009). It's small and crammed with very carefully selected text and lots of illustrations of each species.
Besides its outstanding utility, there are enough North American birds
included that it's quite useful for back home even if you never come across
a European stray (and the guide to go to if you do).

Ed LeGrand
Crossville, TN (Cumberland Co.)

TN-Bird Net is owned by the Tennessee Ornithological Society Neither the society(TOS) nor its moderator(s)

              Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan
                       Clemson, SC

                      MAP RESOURCES