[TN-Bird] Re: [Bristol-Birds] Red Crossbills and Pine Siskins

  • From: "THCumbie" <thcumbie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 10:40:24 -0400

This is in reference to the awesome photos and write-up by Ed Talbot on the
Roan Mountain at Carver's Gap:
Since the identification for the Red Crossbill is its unusual bill  (At least
it would be for me)..it would be good to take a scope to see it.  When I was at
Carver's Gap recently, I probably saw the Crossbill, but  these birds were in
the top of a balsam much like the first photo in Ed's online display and too
much distance to identify the bill.

There may be other traits for identification like flight patterns or feeding
habits that I am not aware of?   I wonder is there a reason to think they will
have their habitat here during the winter or is migration taking place?

Tess Cumbie
Buladean, NC Mitchell County
Herndon Chapter Birdclub Elizabethton,TN