[TN-Bird] Bradley County, TN Black and White Warbler.

  • From: "Stephen Greenfield" <stephengreenfield@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 18:32:13 -0400

4/24/15

at home in front bird bath

North Bradley County

Cleveland, TN

While this may not sound important I had my first Black and White Warbler
today at my front bird bath. In looking at my ancient copy of Peterson's, I
noted where I saw my first Black and White warbler 50 years ago today. It
was in Percy Warner Park on my first TOS bird adventure, the Spring Bird
Count. I was twelve years old. My companions that day were Carol Knauth who
wrote a newspaper column called "Wing Tips" for the Nashville Banner, Jennie
Riggs, the Fernvale girls, and Louise Jackson. I have wonderful memories of
all those people who were so kind and generous to me. Albert Ganier taught
me to fly fish at the Two Jays Sanctuary and we would catch rock bass,
varieties of bream, and an occasional gar, while avoiding the cottonmouths
on the South Harpeth. In high school, I would often skip out to go to Two
Jays, bird watch, fish, and relax. I've never forgotten those TOS friends
who taught me so much, not only about birds, but the love of nature and
life.

Fifty years of birding and it never gets old.

Stephen Greenfield

---