[TN-Bird] Bossy Mock comes a'beggin'

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 17:47:13 EST

Birders,
As predicted, the bossy mock that came to fill up on pokeberries earlier just
came a-beggin' from a chair on my deck for me to put out more peanut butter
here in the Charlotte Park area of West Nashville near Cleece's Ferry's boat
landing at the Cumberland River in Davidson County.

I respected the request, the birds have filled up (gorged) and flew down to
their usual roost in a very thick bush at the corner of my back yard.  Usually,
one begs while the mate stands guard.  They eat, then the rest of the
neighborhood mockingbirds come in to eat.  Apparently, the pecking order starts
with
the old oldest matriarch and patriarch of the mockingbird clan around here.  I
usually have three or four couples to feed from neighboring yards.  All is
well, with my mockingbirds home, fed and in bed for the evening until the
season
comes in when they all "shall rise up singing" at 2 AM outside my windows!

Happy birding,

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN